As technology continues to expand its reach into our everyday lives, so too have Smart TVs.
A Smart TV is like a standard TV, only it is connected to the internet to provide app functionality. Initially, people used their Smart TVs mostly to stream videos from the web, but more recently, popular applications have been widely used for gaming, shopping and social network activities. It is safe to say that TV sets are getting smarter and more connected. They have become less of a passive medium and more of an interactive one by allowing consumers to engage with apps directly from the comfort of their homes.
According to statistics, 99 percent of US-households have one or more TVs. It is also predicted that 50 percent of all TVs sold worldwide will be Smart TVs within a couple of years. It is no surprise that with the increasing sales in Smart TVs, more useful Smart TV apps will follow. These apps not only offer tons of content, they also provide more functionality – from browsing the internet straight from a big-screen TV to connecting with different gaming platforms.
BEST SMART TV APPS
There are a number of apps available for Smart TVs. These apps are guaranteed to maximize the consumers’ viewing experience and bring innovative features. Some of the best Smart TV apps include:
- Shopping apps: With the success of Amazon, top Smart TV players such as Apple, Samsung and Sony are pushing “T-commerce” to promote the idea of buying items from TVs. A number of Smart TVs have also integrated purchasing into consumers’ viewing experiences.
- Movie streaming apps: The Smart TV app marketplace is filled to the brim with different movie streaming apps that are becoming more and more popular worldwide. These apps make it possible for viewers to choose the best service to stream movies without attaching a network media player. Top movie streaming apps include Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Watchever.
- Music streaming apps: Owning a Smart TV opens up a world of exciting music streaming options. Most Smart TVs have dedicated music apps that can be accessed directly from the on-screen app menu. Popular music streaming apps like Spotify and Deezer offer a free version which is ad-supported while a monthly subscription gets music lovers an ad-free version along with high fidelity.
- Sports apps – Sports fans can now have a fully immersed gaming experience by streaming different games in HD, getting live updates and real-time scores. While most sports apps are free, monthly subscriptions are offered as add-ons. Currently, one of the most popular sports app is SkyOnline.
- Exercise Apps – Exercise apps let fitness enthusiasts save on gym membership fees by providing exercise programs straight from TVs. Most of these apps take the viewer through a number of exercises to help them get in shape. When done, viewers can tweet or share their accomplishments with their social media accounts. One example is Samsung Smart TV’s personal trainer, Fitness VOD.
ACCESSING SMART TV APPS
Getting access to smart TV apps is very easy and straightforward. Here are the things you need:
- Smart TV: There is a wide array of high-definition and 4K Ultra HD sets in stores, from bargain flat screens to high-end models that can cost as much as a car. The most important factors to consider are screen size and price.
- Internet: Most Smart TVs are wi-fi enabled, meaning they can wirelessly connect to an internet router just as a regular laptop would do. Some require a wi-fi dongle that one might need to purchase separately from a Smart TV.
- Decent broadband speed: A high-speed internet connection is recommended for video streaming. For example, while a mid-range speed can stream an Ultra HD content on Netflix, at least 15Mbps will guarantee to get the best experience. Having an unlimited broadband package to avoid extra charges is a practical choice, in case there is a monthly data limit.
CHOOSING A PLATFORM FOR SMART TV APPS
One of the biggest concerns when buying a new TV is its Smart platform. The best platforms guarantee a wide range of Smart TV apps integrated into the user interface. Smart TV platforms tend to change every year or so. According to TechRadar, the top five Smart TV platforms include Android TV, Firefox OS, Smart Hub and Tizen OS, WebOS and RokuTV.
ADVERTISING VIA SMART TV APPS
The advertising market has greatly evolved in regard to finding new channels on which to advertise products and services. While some marketers continue to see an upward trend value in mobile advertising, the mobile industry as a whole is slowly turning to Smart TV advertising. As a result, it is starting to become an important component in many marketers’ overall marketing strategy.
There is a good reason behind this move. After all, television still offers the largest audience of any mass market media and 63 percent of all global ad expenses go to TV advertising. It is also more acceptable for consumers to be exposed to longer ads on TV, compared to their mobile devices. Smart TVs offer more and better targeting options for advertising companies. Viewers have a huge selection and this interest-driven behavior makes it easier for marketers to target their desired audience.
Delivering content based on consumer profiles increases virality and engagement. Any advertising campaign manager knows that content personalization is key to a successful campaign.
For example, feeding the same generic content to Viewer A, who enjoys shopping, and Viewer
B, who is a sports fanatic, is a thing of the past. There is now a huge opportunity for marketers to explore diversity using Smart TV advertising. In the near future, Smart TVs are likely to mirror the modern targeting capabilities offered by mobile and desktop platforms. Using advanced market segmentation, brands will be able to precisely pinpoint their target audience to deliver a particular ad to specific households in real-time.
Do you need support with your Smart TV app project? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.